The Fort Museum has nine buildings housing over 8,000 artifacts pertaining to the NWMP and Southern Albertan First Nation Peoples. The artifacts date from the early days of the force, to more recent days in the mid 20th century.
Although the Fort Museum is not the original site of the Fort, built by the NWMP in 1874, the Museum does house two of the oldest buildings in the area, restored on their original sites!
Fred Kanouse’s trading post cabin, was a post he kept when beginning ranching. Kanouse bought a small herd of cattle and set them loose, figuring he would never see them again. The next spring however, the cattle returned awaiting him. This fantastic occurrence was the beginning of ranching in Southern Alberta.
Sir Fredrick Haultain’s first law office. Sir Fredrick Haultain was born in England and moved to Canada when he was a child. Later in life he became the first premier of the North West Territories. His first law office is restored on it’s original site in the Fort Museum.